Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid
Tuition for the 2019/20 school year is $16,995 per student.
Tuition includes all school materials, textbooks, a laptop for in-school use, certain uniform items, some meals, and all domestic field lessons, overnight trips, and the Costa Rica International Field Experience.*
*All students travel to Costa Rica in the spring of 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, and the cost of this trip is included in the tuition. However, if trip airfares exceed $600, parents will be invoiced for the excess amount, not to exceed $500. For example, if airfare is $450, there will be no invoices sent. If airfare is $695, families will be invoiced the $95 overage amount.
Tuition may be paid in one of three ways:
- Full payment on July 1
- 50% payment on July 1, 50% payment on December 1 (with added bookkeeping fee)
- Ten monthly payments beginning July 1 and ending April 1 (with added bookkeeping fee)
All tuition payment plans include a non-refundable $1,000 enrollment deposit, paid upon registration to secure the space. This deposit is credited towards the full tuition balance.
FBRA offers financial aid to qualified students on the basis of the financial need of the family and the availability of funds. We expect families to consider all external resources, including relatives, before asking for financial aid from the school. We expect those who are offered and accept aid to make every effort to contribute as much as they can to their children’s education. This, in turn, helps us extend our resources to as many deserving families as possible within our community.
The Financial Aid Committee considers all household resources as well as household resources from divorced or separated parents or guardians. In shared-custody families, both households are required to submit a complete Financial Aid application.
Priority consideration for financial aid is given in this order:
- returning families currently receiving financial aid,
- returning families whose situation has changed and are now requesting financial aid,
- new families requesting financial aid
The Financial Aid Process:
- The financial aid application period begins October 1 and ends December 1.
- All families applying for financial aid will fill out the FACTS application. This is a third party application where families will be asked to submit their financial information. This can be a long and complicated process. Do not wait until the last minute to start the application. You will be asked about income, assets, and debt, along with other family and financial information.
- Once the application is complete and all supporting document is submitted, all families will be contacted to schedule and complete a required, in-person financial aid interview with our Finance Office.
- All families must complete the FACTS application, interview, and submit all supporting documentation (tax returns, W-2s, etc) by the deadlines or financial assistance will not be considered.
- Financial aid awards will be communicated to families within five working days of the acceptance decision.
This year’s financial aid application deadline is December 1, 2019, in tandem with our application deadline. Submissions received after this date will most likely not be considered. Please note: you must complete the student application process to be considered for aid.
Please note: The French Broad River Academy does not participate in North Carolina’s “Opportunity Scholarship” or “Disabilities Grant” programs.